Scott Drummond is pretty much my hero!


Sorry for the lateness of this post!

Case Study: How Scott Drummond created a Brand (MarketingMag) Community

In late August I was puling my hair out trying to find a great example of an Australian Community Manager, someone who had helped to create a community around a brand. Where had a brand come into an environment and been accepted by the community. It just so happens that the perfect case study of creating a Brand Community had been in contact with me and become one of my friends over the last four months. I speak of none other than Scott Drummond the person who created and put a face to the Marketing Magazine Brand.

Scott Drummond was amazing the way he reached out to the influential members online and got them to create engaging content that would drive traffic and conversation to the site. Additionally, He was on the frontline making sure that he was in the on Twitter, Plurk, other peoples Blogs and Youtube making sure that Marketing Magazine had a presence.

He has left a great community in the safe hands of Kate Kendall who has had a presence online through her blog The Zeitegist and will surely drive Marketing Magazine to the next level while other traditional channels struggle to acclimatise to the new media landscape.

12 comments:

jyesmith said...

I second that!

Adam Ferrier said...

Great photo guys. Thirded.

Anonymous said...

I fourth it! Scott's a SUPER hero.

Kate Kendall said...

Gazillionth! Thanks Jules, and thanks Scott... looking forward to seeing what the future holds for both Sports Hydrant and MarketingMag!

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly agree. Scott knew how to interact and build through Twitter, which is where I first came across him. Makes you feel included even though you're probably one of hundreds on his lists.

Ian Lyons said...

Let's not diminish the important role his hair played in creating his brand.

Anonymous said...

As well as his McFly watch!! We all love ya Scotty!

Gavin Heaton said...

I am with Ian ... go the 'fro!
Great photo BTW!

jyesmith said...

Yeah, I love this photo too -- it's actually just one of a number I took of the boys during our shoot for Viral Rockstars.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Scott. The marketing mag is a great industry resource, viewpoint & conversation starter.
Good luck on the next chapter!

Anonymous said...

Aside from being hopelessly disorganised and generally incapable of shutting up, I agree - it's all in the hair.

Much love to everyone who has posted here already - the wild ride @marketingmag was an incredible way for me to come into contact with some truly inspirational people and fascinating ideas.

The chance to work with those people in such a dynamic and intellectually challenging industry is a privilege, so thanks to everyone who made my time at MM so much fun.

Kate is a genius by the way. Couldn't have been happier handing over to such a switched on young lady. Watch that one - she's bound for glory :-)

And lastly, cheers Jules. Cheers for driving me to get involved in all your wonderful schemes and stunts - I've had so much fun and learned even more.

Well, to stop it sounding too much like a eulogy, hopefully there's still some good stuff to come from the Sports Hydrant. If you're keen to keep track, follow us on Twitter @sportshydrant or invite me out for a beer and I'll probably talk your ears off about it :-)

Anonymous said...

ditto, nice work Scott, you've shown leadership in collaboration, community, co-creation and all things afro!