The Body Shop: Platform Creation


The Body Shop Activist Blog is a great example of brand positioning through Channel Creation. Activism has always been a core value of the Body Shop brand. Through producing content (blog posts) on this subject they are reinforicing their brand values of ‘ Support Community Trade, Activate Self Esteem, Defend Human Rights, and Protect Our Planet.

Thanks to Jake for the tip- Who is equally bemused as me, with the site being powered by renewable wind energy, WTF?



Read more about Platform Creation here

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice one Julian (and Jake). A website being powered by the wind... yes, now that you mention it - that is crazy!

For those interested, I started the Activist blog because there are so many stories to tell both of our internal activities and external events that impact our values. I thought a blog would be the best way to communicate to The Body Shop staff and customers.

We're just trying our best to make positive social and enviro change ... sometimes we get a bit excited about it... the Wind energy thing case in point ;)

Adam
Values Man
The Body Shop Australia

Julian Cole said...

Adam, my hat goes off to you. I think what you are doing is fantastic and you are really leading the way in terms of using social media to communicate the values of your company (there are not many good examples in Australia). I love your title too, Values Man.

By responding to this Blog you are showing that you are using 2 dimensions of the social media framework both Platform Creation and Response Unit (I am sure you are probably using Marketing Intelligence as well). I hope you don’t mind if I use you as an example of how companies can use social media and if there is anything I can help you with, just give me a shout.

Zac Martin said...

I think this blog fits in well with their brand, and doesn't seem too over the top or wanky.

And by responding to this blog, I'd say they're definitely heading in the right direction.