Six tips to nailing an internship


Here are six things I have learnt along the way on how to nail it at an internship

1. Always bring a paper and pen to everything
It is such a small thing but makes the biggest difference, if someone rocks up to a meeting without a pen and paper I automatically think they are not taking notes and are going to forget everything I say. This pisses me off.

2. Match the style guidelines
Make sure you understand the style guidelines of the brand and follow it – what is the agencies font? How do they like to display pictures in powerpoint? No one likes having to clean up a presentation after you.

3. Present in front of the boss
One of the biggest factors to you getting hired will be if the boss likes you. Presenting in front of them will help to illustrate the good work that you are doing and show why you should be hired.

4. Do not leave at 5:30
I don’t care what you do, never leave at 5:30. Personally, It shows to me that you are not working hard enough and that you are clearly not committed. People notice when you leave at 5:30PM. Staying an extra half hour will make a difference.

5. Never say no
Be a yes man, people love to be around positive people who are always willing to help with absolutely anything.

6. Ask for feedback
On every piece of work you do, ask someone to give you genuine feedback on your work. Ask the question, ‘what could I do better on this piece of work?’

Anyone got any more tips?

I have a few super smart friends who are just about to finish their degrees and are looking for internships in creative agencies (account coordinator/junior strategist positions) in Melbourne. If anyone knows of anything going, please shoot me an email julianwcole@gmail.com
blog comments powered by Disqus