I am really excited, We are currently in the process of writing a White Paper on Social Benchmarks for Australian Musicians, there are some really interesting numbers around the size of a bands social networks and album sales. It will be available in the next couple of weeks, let me know if you would be interested in getting a copy.
In preparation, I have prepared some of the latest examples of Australian Musicians using Social Media/Digital well.
1. We recently helped Yves Klein Blue run a Twitter Promotion where they gave away a free download of one of their tracks and the chance to win tickets to Splendour in exchange for a tweet.
2. Blue Juice created a mockumentary around Skipping for the video clip for Broken Leg
3. SPOD has created Fantasyze which are Podcasts to help you get fit! Funny idea.
4. Short Stack lets you create your own text in their speech bubbles for their music video.
5. Empire of the Sun fans and musos across the world got to see and hear an exclusive broadcast from Empire of the Sun for the very first time on July 22.
It occurred for 6 minutes and 39 seconds shortly after 1:00pm (Australian EST) during the longest solar eclipse of the 21st century. The eclipse took place throughout the Asia Pacific region, visible only in Australia from the very tip of far North Queensland.
6. In conjunction with Cancer Research UK; Ladyhawke will be preforming a private show for the person who can get the most friends on a guest list. Check it out at Skindividual
7. SBS show Rockwiz have set up a Twitter account where they ask 5 music questions a day. Cool idea.
8. EMI organised a Blogger Special Paul Dempsey Listening Party at The Cricketers (it ended up getting rescheduled though). They have also created a Facebook Group 'I want to hear Paul Dempsey's new album first!'
9. Powderfinger have created a blog about being in the studio recording their new album.
10. Yves Klein Blue House Party Petition
11. Kate Miller-Heidke in collaboration with NSW Department of Education asked High School Students to create video clips and upload to Myspace about anti bullying for the clip 'Caught In The Crowd'
Oldies but goodies;
12. Whitley in collaboration with Myspace and HP created three competitions; 1) to get people to write the best review of the album, 2) To design the tour artwork and 3) to record a demo to join the Whitley Tour.
13. Angus and Julia Stone have created a very nice personalised Facebook Page.
14. Presets 'Talk like that' ARG thingo (review by WayCoolJnr)
15. 360 degree music video clip by Children Collide
16. Evermore's surprise Commuter gig for Vodafone
For more examples of bands using Social Media well. Check out my previous post on 11 new examples of Musicians using Social Media
And finally, you must listen to these guys, The Middle East are arguably the best band in Australia at the moment. Their live show takes it to another level too!